Thursday, June 24, 2010

Embarrasment

Have you ever had one of those moments where someone unexpected drops by and you're completely unprepared? Yeah, I had one of those this morning.

Let me start by going back to last night... I really meant to take a shower. I did. I just got busy doing other things and forgot. Then Hubs came home from work at 11:30. We watched tv together for a bit and then, ahem, stayed up until 1 or 1:30. Which usually happens and is ok with me. I don't get to see him often so it's nice to spend "quality" time together whenever possible. I don't mind the late nights at all! That is, if the kids sleep all night.

At about 4am Gavin comes to bed with us, which he usually does. He's been doing that almost every night since he could walk! Now, you would think a queen size bed would be big enough for the 3 of us right? Nope. He's a wriggler. Anyhow now when he sleeps with us (I keep an extra pillow at the end of the bed) I just put him in my spot and sleep upside down in the bed. It's much more comfortable and I'm usually the one that gets stuck in the middle and it's way too hot for that right now. Sorry my boys, mama's not snuggling when it's 90 degrees!

Anyway I got off track there. Gavin for some reason had a terrible time sleeping so he is tossing and turning until 6:30. I know we should've just gotten up but I was exhausted after only 2.5 hrs of sleep. So I just doze off when Gage gets up at 7! He's not going back to sleep so we get up, I fix him some juice and we cuddle on the couch and watch some cartoons.

At about 8 I hear the doorbell ring. I'm thinking 'oh no, who could that be?' I run into the bedroom to find some kind of shorts to put on (I was only wearing a shirt!) I peep outside and see my neighbor, looking fabulous like she always does! I barely crack the door open so she doesn't get a good look at me. I desperately need a shower, I'm wearing one of hubbys old wife beater shirts (no bra mind you), My eye are swollen from lack of sleep, I swear I must have looked like something right out of a horror movie! I was mortified. I usually don't look that bad, I promise! I had just had a rough night.

She tells me that she's late for work, her car won't start and she needs some jumper cables. I tell her I'd get hubby up and send him over. Well it turns out that my hubby, who loves working on cars, is a great mechanic (that's not what he does for a living but he's great at it!) doesn't have any jumper cables. I'm like What The Heck? What kind of man that builds a sports car from the ground up, that can fix anything car related doesn't have jumper cables? I thought everyone was supposed to have a set. So he's refusing to get out of bed so I have to throw my hair up, grab a gray tank top (I did remember to put a bra on!) pick Gage up (at least I remembered him too) and slide on some blue flip flops while going out the door to tell her we didn't have any jumper cables.

Note: I have no idea why we haven't exchanged phone numbers so I could call her but we just haven't yet.

On my way to her house I look down and notice that I'm wearing a gray tank top, pink shorts, and blue flip flops. Oh, and deodorant and teeth brushed? You can forget about that. I mean, I haven't looked this bad in forever! I literally just rolled out of bed, made a sippy cup, turned on cartoons, and fell up on the couch. GREAT. What is my very well dressed and Diva looking neighbor going to think? I mean this woman has a daughter that is around 16 and the first time I saw them, I thought they were sisters! She is always looking like perfection. Even when hubby had to go help her start her lawnmower and she was getting ready to mow she looked fabulous! Her hair was done, makeup on. She was actually wearing sunglasses at 8 o'clock this morning! I have never seen her anything less than perfect. She's super nice by the way which made me feel that much worse.

I figure it's too late to turn back now so I head on over and tell her that I was sorry but we didn't have any. She was very polite about it and I recommended the only other neighbor I knew. As we were walking down her driveway, I was a little ahead of her and saw her look down at my pink shorts and blue shoes, I thought I was going to die! She of course didn't say anything and we walked back to the house. Now it seems hilarious that I worried that much over how I looked but at the time I was SO embarrassed!

Have you ever had one of those moments? Please share your embarrassing stories with me :) (It'll make me feel better!)

2 comments:

Linda Stewart said...

My daughter had her moment this morning too! We had scheduled the carpet cleaners to be at our house at 8:30am this morning. Since she isn't working she was the chosen one to be there when they arrived. She was up and getting ready when I left for work so I figured she would have her act together and be dressed by the time they arrived. They were late which gave her more than enough time to be adequately dressed. Instead she chose to stay in her nightgown and be as comfortable as possible at 30 weeks pregnant. When the cleaners showed up she was TOTALLY embarrassed. She expected them to be older and nothing to look at. Instead they sent the young crew and in her exact words ... "They are HOT." She said she felt like crawling up in her closet and hiding. Guess she'll learn to put on some clothes next time!!

Jamie said...

Haha, that totally sounds like something I would do!