Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chicken Quesadillas

For this Tasty Tuesday, I'm giving you all a recipe for Chicken Quesadillas. My hubby thinks they're better than Taco Bells ;)

This recipe looks complicated but I promise it's not. It's mostly just layering stuff on top of other stuff. The hardest part is chopping the jalapenos for the sauce! Really, just try it. You'll like it.

Ingredients:

4 chicken tenderloins
4 (10 oz) lg. flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 slices American cheese
1/4 cup Mayo
2 tsp. minced canned jalapeno slices (the smaller, the better)
2 tsp. canned jalapeno juice
3/4 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper (I use the powdered kind in the spice section)
1/8 tsp. Garlic powder




Jalapeno Sauce
Combine Mayo, Jalapenos, Juice, Sugar, & the seasonings- Paprika, Cumin, Cayenne pepper & the Garlic powder. Mix until creamy. cover and chill so that the flavors develop. Stir every now and then.

Cooking the Chicken
The recipe says to rub the chicken tenderloins w/ vegetable oil, salt, & pepper on each side and cook until done, then slice it real thin. But I just boil it then shred it. It's a lot easier and quicker to do! Either way tastes fine, I've tried both.


Building the Quesadilla
When you're ready to build the quesadillas, preheat a skillet over medium-low heat. When the pan is hot, lay a tortilla in the pan. Arrange 1/4 cup top of the cheddar and 1/4 cup of the monterey jack cheese on half of the tortilla. Tear up a half slice of american cheese and put it on top of the other cheese.

Arrange about 1/4 cup (I just do a handful!) of sliced (or shredded) chicken over the cheese.

Spread 1tablespoon of the jalapeno sauce over the half of the tortilla with nothing on it.


Fold it and press it down. Cook it for about 1 minute, then turn it over and cook another minute or two or until the cheese is melted.

Slice it into 4 pieces (a pizza cutter works great!) and serve while it's hot. I serve it with sour cream on top.

Extras
Steak also works great.

There's really no set way to layer the quesadilla. I usually put the sauce on first then chicken, then cheese. However you throw it on there, it still tastes the same! I don't know why the recipe goes into so much detail about it ;)


I've also used pepper jack cheese on it. It makes it spicier but good

BTW the sauce isn't real spicy. I know by the ingredients it sounds really hot but it really depends on how much sauce you put on it. If you're sensitive to spicy foods, just put a little less sauce. I like more heat so I actually put extra sauce on it. I have to double the recipe for it!


I hope you like this one. Be sure to leave your link for your recipes below